Monday, December 11, 2017

Husserl and Empathy in Crisis

"Through the empathy of his original sphere of consciousness, through what arises out of it, as a component which is never lacking, he also already has a universal intersubjective horizon, even though he may not notice it at first."

Husserl, Crisis, 243.

"What remains now, is not a multiplicity of separated souls, each reduced to its pure interiority, but rather" just as there is a sole universal nature as a self-enclosed framework of unity, so there is a sole psychic framework, a total framework of all souls, which are united not externally but internally, namely, through the intentional interpenetration which is the communalization of their lives. Each soul, reduced to its pure interiority, has its being-for-itself and its being-in-itself, has its life which is originally its own. And yet it belongs to each soul that it have its particular world-consciousness in a way which is originally its own, namely, through the fact that it has empathy experiences, experiencing consciousness of others as [also] having a world, the same world, that is, each apperceiving it in his own apperceptions."

Husserl, Crisis, 255.

"During the time in which I am a transcendental or pure phenomenologist, I am exclusively within transcendental self-consciousness, and I am my own subject matter... Here there is no objectivity at all; here there are objectivity, things, world, and world-science (including, then, all positive sciences and philosophies), only as my - the transcendental ego's - phenomena. All the ontic validities that I may perform and wish to perform as a transcendental investigator are related to myself; but this also includes the actual and possible 'empathies,' perceptions of others, that appear among my original intentions. Through the reduction [others] are transformed from human beings existing for me into alter egos existing for me, having the ontic meaning of implicata of my original intentional life. And the reverse also holds: I, with my whole original life, am implied in them; and they are all likewise implied in one another."

Husserl, Crisis, p. 258.

"We are thereby conscious of the men on our external horizon in each case as 'others'; in each case 'I' am conscious of them as 'my' others, as those with whom I can enter into actual and potential, immediate and mediate relations of empathy; [this involves] a reciprocal 'getting along' with others; and on the basis of these relations I can deal with them, enter into particular modes of community with them, and then know, in a habitual way, of my being so related."

Husserl, "The Origin of Geometry" in Crisis, p. 358.

No comments:

Post a Comment